Stevenson students thrilled for Orioles Opening Day

After a 101-win season in 2023, expectations are higher than ever for the O’s

The Baltimore Orioles’ highly anticipated season begins today at 3:05 p.m. against the Los Angeles Angels, and Stevenson students can’t wait.  

The Orioles are coming off a historic 2023 campaign in which they won the American League East division with a record of 101-61. Their success continued in Spring Training finishing with an MLB-best record of 23-6.  

This success along with bringing back their excellent young core had them picked as the World Series favorites by MLB.com.  

The Stevenson community couldn’t be more excited about the start of the season and the coming success that many expect the Orioles to have.  

Ben Johnson, a junior communications major, will be at Camden Yards today as the Orioles begin their 2024 campaign. As a diehard fan, he couldn’t be more excited for how the Orioles are looking for this year. 

Ben Johnson (right) and his brother Daniel Johnson (left) at an Orioles game last year. Photo: Ben Johnson.

“I am expecting the Orioles to continue their dominance from last year and take the AL East crown,” Johnson said. “I am excited to watch them continue their offensive dominance from last year.” 

The Orioles are bringing back a very strong young core including star catcher Adley Rutschman, who received his first All-Star nod last year, and Gunnar Henderson, the reigning AL Rookie of the Year.

There is more talent on the way that you have not even seen yet. The number one prospect in baseball, 20-year-old Jackson Holliday, is taking the nation by storm in the Minor Leagues and is expected to join the team within the month.  

“I like watching the young guns go out and play their game,” Johnson said. “It will be exciting to watch them with their newfound experience, especially after the heartbreaking loss in the American League Division Series last year.” 

Johnson is also ready to be back in the ballpark.  

“I love Camden Yards, I grew up in that ballpark,” Johnson said. “It is the best park in the MLB and there is nothing like hearing the “O” during the National Anthem.” 

Grant DeVivo is a senior business communication major and sports editor for The Villager. He is also on the club baseball team and one of the biggest O’s fans in Maryland. DeVivo even has his own Orioles blog titled Learning to Fly. 

To be in a World Series atmosphere in Baltimore has been a lifelong dream of his, and he feels that dream is within reach this year.

Grant DeVivo at Camden Yards during the postseason last year. Photo: Grant DeVivo.

“I have never seen the Orioles compete for a World Series before,” DeVivo said. “I have seen them come close, but I think this year is the year. I know that come October I will have saved money to purchase World Series tickets at Camden Yards.”  

DeVivo’s most excited about watching Rutschman, the slugging switch-hitting catcher who has been a big part of the Orioles’ turnaround. 

“I have never seen anybody anchor and turn around a sub .500 team like Adley has,” DeVivo said. “He’s here to play for the franchise and the city, and he is [going to be] the poster child of the team for a long time.”  

The Stevenson community is ready for an electric 2024 campaign. They can’t wait to rally their birds to World Series trophy in October. First pitch today is today March 28, at 3:05 pm. The game can be viewed on television on the MASN network. Corbin Burnes will be the starting on the mound for the Orioles.