March 23, 2017

People are saying…

I love Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, and Alex Baldwin!  Their portrayals of Jeff Sessions, Sean Spicer, and Donald Trump (the Attorney General, the Presidential spokesperson, and the President) have sent Saturday Night Live’s ratings to new heights. The funniest skits show Russian President Vladimir Putin, bare-chested, bragging about his bromance with Donald Trump.

But it is difficult to laugh at Russia’s attempt to disrupt the 2016 election.  James Comey, the director of the FBI, announced this week that the FBI is investigating ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.  Already, many people are asking, “What did the president know, and when did he know it?”

People who will likely be part of that investigation include Jeff Sessions (Attorney General), Michael Flynn (former National Security Advisor), Rex Tillerson (Secretary of State), Wilbur Ross (Secretary of Commerce), Paul Manafort (a former campaign manager), Roger Stone (Trump advisor), Jared Kushner (Trump’s son-in-law), Carter Page (a former advisor), and J. D. Gordon (a former advisor).  All of them are known to have had ties with Russian banking and business interests, or met with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak in the days preceding Trump’s election.

The announcement that Rex Tillerson, the U.S. Secretary of State, will not attend a meeting of NATO next month and instead will visit Russia, seems to confirm that Russia is America’s newest best friend, and this has many European leaders scratching their heads.

In other news, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has determined that 24 million Americans will lose their health insurance over the next decade under the Republican plan to replace Obamacare (Will you be one of them?).  The CBO report will make it difficult for Republicans to come up with the votes they need to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Trump and conservative Republicans will be happier to know that Neil Gorsuch’s nomination to fill the Supreme Court seat of the late Antonin Scalia is moving forward, and he will almost certainly be confirmed.

Meanwhile, Barack Obama, according to (non-) reputable sources is in Hawaii plotting a coup to take back the government.  Many people wish that this conspiracy theory was true.