Career fair helps students network

Career fair helps students network

Approximately 44 businesses will attend Stevenson University’s Career Fair on Oct. 3 from 3-6 p.m. in the Rockland banquet hall.

Fall Career Fair is scheduled for Oct. 3 from 3-6 p.m. in the Rockland banquet hall. (Photo from Career Services)

According to Matthew Seiler, the coordinator of events and marketing in Career Services, says the event is an opportunity for students and alumni to investigate career positions. The career fair allows them to meet professionals from the professional world as they search for a job or internship. It also allows students to get to know the different companies they could have an opportunity to work for in the future, according to Stevenson University’s website, Handshake.

Even though it targets business, technology, arts, and science majors, the fair is open for “all majors to attend,” said Seiler, who adds that it is for full-time positions and internships. However, Handshake specifies, “If you are a senior getting ready to graduate in December or May, the fall semester is the heaviest recruitment season, and you will not want to miss this since offers of employment are being extended earlier every year. If you are a student seeking a summer internship, you will also not want to miss this since employers are seeking students in the fall for summer internships.”

According to Handshake, students should research companies prior to attending and those who do attend should bring a resume in excellent shape. Attendees should also dress professionally and be ready to engage with company recruiters.

Those who cannot attend the fair can log into Handshake and locate all the companies’ websites that attended the event. This way, students can get in touch with employers even if they cannot attend the fair.

Students around campus are preparing for the event. Brittany Miller, a student at Stevenson University, said, “I’m excited for the career fair because it gives you a chance to meet employers in person before you even apply for a job. The CIA will be at the career fair and you can go and make a connection with the company in hopes to get a job or internship.” Last year around 125 students attended the fair; however, Seiler said he would love to see 150 students attend this year.

Verizon, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and Sherwin-Williams are just some of major companies that are attending the Fall Career Fair.