Finals tips relieve student stress

Students Prepare for Finals Week. (Photo by pexels.com)

Finals are a stressful time of the year since exams may figure prominently in final grades. With that in mind, students need to find helpful ways to de-stress while preparing for finals.

The Wellness Center, located in Caves on the  Owings Mills campus, can help relieve stress through health care and counseling. (Photo from Villager files)

According to Stevenson’s Wellness staff, when it comes to alleviating stress, it is important to “find what works best for you to stay healthy.” Stevenson’s Wellness Center, Campus Recreations, and online sources provide some useful tips on how to prepare for finals:

1. Get enough sleep

Getting enough sleep will provide the proper amount of energy needed to productively study and perform well on an exam.

2. Exercise 

Exercising has been proven to relieve stress and release “happy hormones” in the brain. Stevenson University provides fitness centers, group fitness classes, and club and intramural sports in which students can participate. Exercising can also serve as a useful break from studying.

3. Eat right and snack healthy

Stress can cause people to eat in a way they usually wouldn’t, whether it be eating too much or not eating enough. It is important to maintain a healthy diet throughout moments of stress. The brain and body need foods that are good for them so they can perform at their best.

4. Breathe

Immediately before taking a final exam or prior to studying, deep breathing can help to calm waves of anxiety and send messages to the brain to relax.

5. Make a study schedule

At the end of the semester, life can start to feel overwhelming. Planning helps give a sense of control; knowing where and when to study will help you feel more prepared for exams.

HELPFUL CAMPUS EVENTS

In addition to these tips, Stevenson University Campus Recreation is hosting an event called Yoga Rave on Dec. 5 from 7 – 8:30 p.m. This will be a non-traditional, upbeat, yoga session with music and dancing, featuring local artist DJ Tyus. No prior yoga experience is required.

Remember the hours of various campus fitness sites may be affected during finals week. For any additional fitness information, students can contact Laura Waginger, assistant director of campus recreation, through her campus email.

Another event that students can attend prior to finals is “Pause.” At these sessions, students can learn how to cope with stress through meditation and mindfulness.  They are held every Monday from 5:30-6:30 p.m. For more information on Pause, students can contact Maggie Winkler through her campus email.

Students can always contact the Wellness Center at 443-352-4200 for more information regarding stress or any other health concerns.