Security guard humbly impacts campus life

When 8 p.m. rolls around, Stevenson University’s gatekeeper, Mary Thomas, begins her shift protecting the campus. Most Stevenson University students know her simply as Ms. Mary.

Thomas works on campus for Centennial Protection Group, and she was recently promoted to corporate. Before Thomas was in the gatehouse, she was a security guard in the first- and second-year residence halls.

Mary Thomas (Photo from Mary Thomas' Facebook)
Mary Thomas (Photo from Mary Thomas’ Facebook)

This is Thomas’ third year working at Stevenson University, and she has been connected with three different security contractors. Thomas heard about Stevenson’s security job while she was at a similar job at a different location.

Thomas was born and raised in Baltimore, Md., with her four siblings. She comes from two loving parents who were married for 54 years. Thomas is married with one son and one grandson, and is a breast cancer survivor.

The popular security guard overcame breast cancer through multiple chemotherapy sessions, other cancer treatments and through a tremendous amount of faith. When Thomas was diagnosed with breast cancer, everyone around her was tearful, but she says she could not cry because she had faith that she would be fine. On Oct. 1, 2015, Thomas went to her last radiation treatment session in her fight against the disease.

Being diagnosed with breast cancer did not stop Thomas from working. She believes that people who let cancer take over are the ones who lose the fight. Thomas is a proud survivor; she says, “Survivors always survive.” She loves to talk about surviving breast cancer because she believes that she can help others fight the disease.

Thomas is very dedicated to her job, and she is a familiar figure to almost all Stevenson University residents, whom she loves and cares for. She cherishes the relationships she has with them.

Mary Thomas is deeply rooted in faith. She says she has been blessed so much that she wants to bless others in any way possible. She greets every car passing the gatehouse with a good afternoon, and after midnight, she says good morning. No matter the time, Thomas always greets everyone with a warm smile that comes from a good heart.