Nutritionist to offer free consultations

Beginning March 27 at 2 p.m., members of the Stevenson University (SU) community can meet with one of Giant’s registered dietitians for a free nutrition consultation in the Wellness Center.

A registered dietitian will be available at the Wellness Center at various times in March, April, and May to hold personalized, individual nutrition consultation. (Villager file photo)

These consultations can be personalized to meet a variation of needs. Those who make an appointment for a consultation can “discuss the fundamentals of nutrition, healthy food choices, and meal planning,” the flyer on the SU Now portal says.

Especially for college students, nutrition and diet are important to monitor. “Many students gain weight when they come to college,” particularly with eating options such as “unfettered access to buffet-style dining halls, campus sundae bars, late-night food delivery, and cheap ramen,” according to the The Student’s Guide to Nutrition.

A nutritional study of university freshmen found that one in four college students gained at least 10 pounds during their freshman year. Students seeing the greatest increase in weight gains, the study concluded, consumed foods with higher fat concentrations, did not eat as many fruits and vegetables, and did not acquire as much sleep as students who did not see weight gains.

Maintaining a balanced diet is not only important to helping manage weight gain, but it can also help reduce the risks of other side effects too. (Villager file photo)

Besides gaining weight, a poor diet is also connected to other side effects, too. These side effects include “lower grades, susceptibility to illness, and increased fatigue,” says The Student’s Guide to Nutrition, as well as “a higher risk of depression, anxiety, irritability, difficulty concentrating, menstrual problems, and sleep disturbances.”

Free consultations with the dietitian are available on any of the following dates:

• Fri., March 27, 2-4 p.m.
  • Fri., April 10, 2-4 p.m.
  • Wed., April 22, 3-6 p.m.
  • Fri., May 1, 2-4 p.m.
  • Fri., May 8, 2-4 p.m.

Those interested in making an appointment to meet with the dietitian can call the Wellness Center at 443-352-4200.