A new chapter for academic excellence at Stevenson

The university’s newest addition, the Phillip A. Zaffere Library, will be open for student use starting spring 2024
A model of the new addition to Owings Mills North campus

In an increasingly digital and fast-paced world, a physical library may seem inconsequential.  

However, the opening of Stevenson University’s magnificent Philip A. Zaffere Library in January is a testament to the timeless and important role libraries play in fostering academic excellence.  

Made possible by a generous $2 million gift from the Philip A. Zaffere Foundation, the library pays tribute to the late Maryland entrepreneur and innovator. Stevenson could not have found a more fitting namesake for this gateway to intellectual discovery. 

Stevenson University, YouTube

“We are thrilled to open this state-of-the-art new library facility made possible by generous donors,” said President of Stevenson University Elliott Hirshman. “It represents a major investment in academic resources and support for our students and faculty.”

The library symbolizes Stevenson’s commitment to providing the best possible resources to support learning and research. This new facility boasts an array of modern amenities, making it a haven for those seeking knowledge and academic growth.  

The Zaffere Library will be home to an extensive collection of books, periodicals, and multimedia materials. In an era where information is at our fingertips, there is something comforting about wandering through the stacks, flipping through the pages of a book, and experiencing the tactile connection to knowledge. 

The library will also feature flexible collaboration areas for group studying, computer labs equipped with cutting-edge software, conference rooms for events and lectures, and lounge spaces to unwind between classes. These innovative facilities foster engagement and peer learning that can bring educational concepts to life. 

The grand opening of the Philip A. Zaffere Library is not only an investment in the university’s current academic community but also in its future. The library’s presence will undoubtedly enhance Stevenson’s reputation and attract prospective students and faculty who value access to a modern, comprehensive library as a key component of their educational experience. This will contribute to the university’s growth and development. 

As we turn the page into this exciting new chapter, let us embrace the Zaffere Library as a foundation for our pursuits of knowledge, understanding, and discovery. This incredible resource belongs to all of us, so we must ensure it occupies a central place in the academic and social fabric of Stevenson.  

We have been gifted an immeasurable opportunity to elevate our work, capabilities, and discourse. With open minds and imaginations, the possibilities within these halls are boundless.