Frank Ocean returns to music

(Photo from fuse.tv)

Frank Ocean has made his long-awaited return to the music world with two albums released on Aug. 20.

Frank Ocean's new album "Blond" is receiving rave reviews from critics and fans. (Photo from rollingstone.com)
Frank Ocean’s new album “Blond” is receiving rave reviews from critics and fans. (Photo from rollingstone.com)

Ocean, who has been delaying the release of any music for the last three years, is known for writing songs for artists such as Beyoncé. However, after the success of his breakout EP, “Nostalgia Ultra,” and debut album “Channel Orange,” fans not only can appreciate his work with other artists, but his own body of music as well.

His first album, “Endless,” was first released as a virtual album that gave the listener a feel for an artist who is working outside of the studio, doing what he loves with a keyboard and laptop. The album was first released on Apple Music for live stream. The downloadable version was available within hours.

With many songs telling stories of struggles with love and lust, Ocean’s sophomore album is just what fans wanted from him. Of the eighteen songs on “Endless,” 12 of them are shorter than three minutes.

Ocean starts out “Endless” with his rendition of “At Your Best (You Are Love)” originally by the Isley Brothers, and then again by the late R&B star Aaliyah. In this song, he shows off his range of vocals as he nails the high notes previously hit by not only the artist who covered the song, but by the originator, Ronald Isley.

To follow up, Ocean provides several short clips ranging from upbeat to slow songs until he flexes his vocals in “Wither.” In this song, Ocean shows off the voice that R&B fans fell in love with. His voice in this song resembles that of a gospel singer for the two and a half minutes it lasts.

He includes songs that send listeners on an emotional rollercoaster before ending with the smooth vibes of “Rushes” and “Rush To.” Once again, Ocean flexes his vocal cords and displays a brilliant sound.

Yet this would not be the only release on his return to the music world. Ocean dropped another album just hours later titled “Blond,” in which he released longer songs.

With the release of “Endless,” Ocean completed his contractual requirements with his former recording label, Def Jam Recordings. Thus, the follow up album “Blond” was released under Ocean’s own recording label, Boys Don’t Cry. The world has waited since 2012 for his return, and with numerous push backs and false calls on the release, Ocean has not only made his return to the music world, but started his own label. He has yet to disappoint.