Off-campus study students plan for travels

italy-molly-meeder-2
Students gather for a photo during a trip to Italy. (Photo from Molly Meeder)

The Stevenson International and Off-Campus Study program continues to offer opportunities for students to take their education to new places. Seven programs will be led by Stevenson University faculty members this academic year to spots in North America, Europe and the Caribbean.

TRAVEL DURING WINTERIM

The department of human services is taking a trip to Jamaica in winter term. Professor and chair of human services, John Rosicky, will take students to a Jamaican homestay for two weeks starting Jan. 2. Through this travel experience, students can earn three credits towards the human services course, Topics in Human Services (HSR 250)

Students interested in environmental  science studies have the opportunity to go to Hawaii during Winterim 2017. Led by Keith Johnson, assistant professor of biology, sophomores and older can earn three environmental science credits while enjoying Hawaiian hostel life in Environmental Science Field Studies (ENV 320). The trip will be three weeks and departs on Jan. 5, 2017.

Another Winterim option students have is a modern-day European crime-fighting course in Valletta, Malta. Graduate students and seniors in a forensics major can spend mid-January earning three credits with the course Special Topics in Forensic Science (FSEL 655). Thomas Coogan, associate dean and professor, forensic studies, will lead the trip.

SPRING BREAK TRAVEL

During spring break, students can decide to spend time in a Berlin hostel focusing on design and art. The opportunity offers three credits for art and design/photography majors in two courses, Topics in Art History or Photo Studio Special Topics (ART 305 or PHOTO 480). Lori Rubeling, professor of art, will be joined by Elena Volkova, assistant professor of art and visual communication design, as they lead the trip.

For those who long for the sunny west coast, Los Angeles is calling. Business communication and administration majors have an opportunity to spend a week in Hollywood earning three credits studying large-scale event planning with the course Special Topics in Communication (CM402). Led by Stephanie Verni, professor of business communication, and assisted by Chip Rouse, associate professor of business communication, students can spend spring break on the west coast investigating how event managers coordinate large-scale events.

Students visit Greece Photo from Villager files
Students visit the Acropolis in Greece.
(Photo from Villager files)

Senior nursing majors can spend spring break in Madrid and Toledo, Spain. This program offers a week in Spain, allowing students to earn three 400-level nursing credits with the course Special Topics in Nursing (NURS 450). This one-week adventure is led by Guillermo Gonzalez, adjunct professor of Spanish, and will help students acquire basic communicative skills in Spanish.

SUMMER BREAK EXPERIENCES

Interested students can travel across the Atlantic to participate in a leadership and service learning study tour in Ireland and Portugal this summer. Sophomores and older can spend two weeks, beginning in the middle of May, overseas. Romas Laskauskas, assistant professor of management, will lead the trip which offers three upper-level credits in the management course, Leadership and Service Learning (MGT 440). This course will also be assisted by Sidas Saulynas, assistant professor of information systems.

The study abroad program is headed by Rebecca Pisano, Ph.D., associate dean for International and Off-Campus Study. All students must meet prerequisites of courses that offer credits. Further information can be found on the SU Now Portal.