Homecoming 2016

Homecoming 2016

Hypnotism, reunions, Mustang football, the tailgate, the bonfire, the annual Maryland Crab Feast, the Hall of Fame Banquet, Haunted Hallways and much more – these events are all a part of Stevenson’s upcoming HoFull page photomecoming week from Oct. 16 until Oct. 22.

“In my seventeenth and final year at Stevenson University, this Homecoming means even more to me. It is always a festive occasion, and it is good to see all of our alums coming back. I am especially interested in Homecoming this year because I will be inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame,” said Dr. Kevin J. Manning, president of Stevenson University.

Here’s a summary of all of Stevenson’s homecoming events:

Sunday, Oct. 16: Stevenson University will host the 2016 men’s lacrosse Meghan Puls Classic, if weather permits. The event will begin at 10 a.m. at the Mustang Stadium featuring six teams: Stevenson, Goucher, Franklin & Marshall, Virginia Wesleyan, Ursinus and Adelphi. Admission is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted.

Monday, Oct. 17: The Mr. and Ms. SU Pageant will be held at 7 p.m. at Rockland Banquet Hall, open to SU students. The pageant will feature contestants participating in a variety of rounds of spirit wear, career wear, lip sync and more. Each student may receive one ticket by visiting The Rock. Tickets are limited.

Tuesday, Oct. 18: The Alumni Employee Breakfast will be held at 9 a.m. at Rockland Conference Room A. This event is open to faculty and staff members who are alumni.

(Photo from SU Flickr)
(Photo from SU Flickr)

The annual Chili Cook-Off will be held from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the lobby of Rockland. Faculty, staff and students can enter a competition to prepare and serve their chili to spectators and a panel of judges.

The women’s soccer team will play Messiah University, if weather permits, at 7 p.m. at the Mustang Stadium. Admission is free.

The women’s volleyball team will play St. Mary’s College at 7 p.m. at the Owings Mills gym.

Wednesday, Oct.19: The field hockey team will play Hood College, if weather permits, at 4 p.m. at the Mustang Stadium. Admission is free.

The men’s soccer team will playing Messiah University, if weather permits, at 7 p.m. at the Mustang Stadium. Admission is free.

ericminaMAP’s Homecoming Headliner will be held at 7 p.m. at Rockland Banquet Hall. Featured will be comedy hypnotist Eric Mina. Admission is free.

Thursday, Oct. 20: The varsity Golf Alumni Homecoming Tournament will be held at 8 a.m., if weather permits, at Piney Branch Golf Club. Tickets and registration are required for this event. Those interested in participating should contact Chris Ramer, men’s golf coach, at 443.352.4388.

(Photo from SU Flickr)
(Photo from SU Flickr)

The Academic Affinity Reunions will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Kevin J. Manning Academic Center on Owings Mills North. Alumni from the School of Design (SOD), Beverly K. Fine School of Sciences (SOS), and the Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Profession (SHP) are welcome to visit with faculty in their new home. Tickets are complimentary for SOD, SOS and SHP alumni. Guests are $5. Tickets and reservations are required for this event.

The Powder Puff Football game will be held from 5:30- 6:30 p.m., if weather permits, on the practice field. This annual game will include female students from all classes participating in a game of flag football.

The GPS Alumni Happy Hour will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on the second floor of Garrison Hall South. Alumni, faculty and staff will be able to reconnect and network while taking a tour of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies’ new home. Complimentary food and drinks will be served. Tickets are free for GPS alumni. Guests are $5. Tickets and reservations are required for this event.

The Bonfire will be held from 7-9 p.m., if weather permits, in the Caves Parking Lot. Live performances, sweet treats and giveaways are the evening’s features.

Following the Bonfire, the Wellness Center Peer Educators are hosting a Sober Party, from 9 p.m.-12:30 a.m., in the Radcliffe Community Center.  There will be games and food for those who attend.  All attending are asked to bring a canned good or a donation to enter.

wellness-sober-partyFriday, Oct. 21: The Milestone Reunion Dinner and Jubilarian Society Induction will be held at 5:30 p.m. at the St. Paul Companies Pavilion. This annual celebration will honor the 50th Reunion Class of 1966, the Jubilarian Society (all who have achieved their 50-year milestone anniversary), and the Milestone Classes of 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, and 1991. A formal dinner and program will follow a cocktail hour. Tickets are complimentary for milestone alumni and their guests. Tickets and registration are required for this event.

The women’s soccer team will play Alvernia University at 7 p.m., if weather permits, at the Mustang Stadium. Admission is free.

Mustang Madness, the introduction of the 2016-17 men’s and women’s basketball teams, will begin at 7 p.m. at the Owings Mills gym. The night will feature contests, music, giveaways and performances from the SU cheer and dance teams.

Haunted Hallways from 8-10 p.m. at the Rockland Center is always a spooky event. Refreshments will be served. Admission is free for students with a current student ID. Faculty, staff and guests are asked to donate any monetary amount or a canned good or non-perishable food item for entry.

Saturday, Oct. 22: Alumni athletes can gather at the Affinity Tent from 9-11:30 a.m. joining other alumni and former coaches. Members of the Dick Watts Athletics Hall of Fame, including the 2016 inductees, will be in attendance. Participants can bring their own beverages, but are asked to review the tailgate policy prior to the event. Tickets and registration are required for this event.

The Family Fanfare and Affinity Reunion Tailgate will be held from 9-11:30 a.m., if weather permits, on the Brown School of Business and Leadership parking lot. Sport SU gear and enjoy tailgates complete with family activities, while connecting with friends of SU. Visit with the faculty and staff at the various affinity tents.

(Photo by Maumi Channel-Chatterton)
(Photo by Maumi Channel-Chatterton)

A Parents’ Reception from 9-10:30 a.m., if weather permits, at the Rockland Banquet Hall and Parents’ Hospitality Tent, will allow Mustang parents to experience the Career Architecture process with Anne Scholl-Fiedler, vice president of Career Services. Every parent who attends will receive a gift. Tickets are complimentary for Mustang parents, but reservations are required for this event.

The football team will play against their MAC Conference rival, Delaware Valley College, at noon, if weather permits, at the Mustang Stadium. The game will feature a performance from the SU Marching Band, Hall of Fame introductions, and Mr. and Ms. SU introductions during halftime. A limited number of complimentary student tickets will be available at The Rock during the weeks prior to the game. Tickets are required to attend this event.

(Photo courtesy of Chris Reed)
(Photo courtesy of Chris Reed)

A student watch party will begin at noon at the Ratcliffe Community Center. Students who missed out on tickets will be able to watch the game at Ratcliffe.

The Maryland Crab Feast from 3-6 p.m. at the Owings Mills gym will feature steamed crabs, pit beef, a supply of Old Bay and other local favorites. General admission is $45, children (under 12) $20. Contact Jamie Myers, director of Alumni Relations, at 443-334-2625. Tickets are required for this event.

The men’s soccer team will play Alvernia University at 4 p.m., if weather permits, at the Mustang Stadium.

The Dick Watts Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet will be held from 6-9 p.m. at Rockland Banquet Hall. The 2016 Dick Watts Athletics Hall of Fame Class will pay tribute to the athletes, contributors and others who set the foundation for the Stevenson athletics program. The event will honor Kevin J. Manning, Tracey Whetstone Full page photoCantabene ’95, Peter Nee ’96, Holly Chattin-Smith ’00, Adrienne Justis Tamanini ’03, Wade Henninger ’05, Anthony Fitzgerald ’06 and Fran Fidler. General admission is $75. Contact MC McFadden, athletic administrative coordinator at 443.352.4126.

The field hockey team will play Widener University at 7 p.m., if weather permits, at the Mustang Stadium.

The Homecoming Dance from 10 p.m.-1 a.m. in the Owings Mills gym is open to Stevenson students and their guests. Tickets for current students are $5, and guests of current students are $15. Tickets are available at The Rock. Contact Hope Miller, assistant director of Student Activities, at 443.352.4305.

halloffame16For more information about homecoming events and registration, visit its page on the Stevenson website.