Film & moving image to host new artist

Film & moving image to host new artist

The film and moving image department’s (FMI) next artist-in-residence, a rising-star documentary editor, will be at Stevenson University from Oct. 26-28, 2016, according to FMI chair Christopher Reed.

Eileen Meyer will sit in on classes and talk with students and faculty on Oct. 26 and 27. At 7 p.m. on Oct. 27, Meyer will be the guest lecturer at an event that is open to the public, and in which she will discuss her career path and show selections of her work.

meyer_eileen_fmi-fall2016-air-posterThe documentary editor said that when she visits classes, she is interested to see what the film students are working on and hopes to provide some feedback, technical tips, engaging exercises and storytelling. She also hopes to talk with students to see what questions she can answer on an individual level.

EILEEN MEYER’S RECENT SUCCESSES

Meyer is known as a documentary editor with one of her most recent films, “Best of Enemies,” shortlisted for the academy award for Best Documentary, said assistant professor Christopher Ernst. Her body of work is diversified and will set an excellent example for students to path out their own filmmaking careers.

“Eileen’s visit will be a great opportunity for our students to interact with a professional editor working on high profile projects within today’s changing media landscape,” said Ernst.

Reed explained that Meyer was awarded the Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellowship for 2016, an honor presented to an emerging documentary editor in memory of the late documentary editor, Karen Schmeer. In the announcement of this award, the Fellowship committee explained that Meyer impressed them with her confident spirit, strong work ethic, and the ways in which she has been pushing herself to new professional heights.

The FMI department brings in a new artist-in-residence every fall and spring semester, according to Reed. Each artist specializes in a different aspect of filmmaking.

Reed added that the last few artists have mainly been writers, producers and directors, so he hopes to bring in more variety, including editors and cinematographers.

ARTISTS INVOLVED IN THE STEVENSON ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE

The artist-in-residence from the spring of 2016 was Ramona Diaz, a documentary filmmaker who screened her 2012 film, “Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey,” a documentary that follows the story of how the rock band, Journey, found the perfect replacement for their frontman, Steve Perry.

A year ago, the artist-in-residence was the Hollywood film producer, Jason Michael Berman, who has produced many feature films that have debuted at a number of prestigious film festivals around the world, and screened his film, “The Benefactor.”

The artist-in-residence for spring 2017 will be cinematographer Harlan Bosmajian, a film professor from Emerson College. Reed said that Bosmajian has worked on several high-budget films and can bring that experience to the students here.