Campus participates in Socktober

Campus participates in Socktober

Socktober brings special meaning to campus for the month of October.

This month, the business communication department is participating in an event called Socktober, an annual sock drive to benefit the homeless men at Helping Up Mission.

Kylie Handler represents  LPH and collects socks for the Socktober drive. Photo Credit: Brendan Reynolds
Kylie Handler represents LPH and collects socks for the Socktober drive. (Photo by Brendan Reynolds)

The participating clubs involved are Lambda Pi Eta and ’47 House. Lambda Pi Eta is the honor society of the National Communication Association and ’47 House is a public relations, advertising, marketing, and communication club that prepares students for the workforce. The clubs are accepting monetary donations that will go toward the purchase of new socks for Helping Up Mission.

Why socks? Socks promote good hygiene and fight against infections. New socks help prevent athlete’s foot, calluses, and other fungi. Socks also help to keep the body warm, as the feet are among the primary outlets of body heat. Many of us take socks for granted and do not realize the benefits that come from wearing them.

For those who cannot afford to buy basic necessities, a pair of socks can help keep them warm throughout the day and at night.

Stevenson University has partnered with Helping Up Mission in the past. According to their mission statement, “Helping Up Mission provides hope to people experiencing homelessness, poverty or addiction by meeting their physical, psychological, social, and spiritual needs.”

The organization provides volunteer opportunities for those who are interested, including services such as kitchen duty/meal service, educational tutoring, professional pro bono services, and special events. For inquiries, more information is located on their website.

Walmart has also partnered with the department to help ensure the success of the event.

During the month of October, members of Lambda Pi Eta and ’47 House will have attended the Chili Cook-Off, the Affinity Reunions, and the Homecoming tailgate and football game for collections.

Those who missed these events and would like to contribute to the cause, monetary donations are acceptable until Oct. 31, 2016. All donations can be brought to the business communication hallway located in the Academic Center on the Owings Mills North campus.