Dress for success at Trunk Show

Use additional time during the summer to perfect your professional wardrobe. Goodwill and other thrift stores offer plenty of affordable options. (Villager file photo)

Stevenson University’s first-ever Trunk Show is designed to help those students who need style tips for interviews, free clothing, and a chance to network with professionals in the fashion field.

On Nov. 4 from 2-4 p.m., the event, organized by the Office of Career Services and the Fashion Apparel and Design club (FAD), will offer tips for appropriate business fashion wear. This will be the first time Career Services has ever produced a professional dress Trunk Show with the help of fashion design students.

(Graphic courtesy of: Career Services)
(Graphic courtesy of Career Services)

The event consists of two parts. First, event attendees will be able to consult the FAD club for style advice and outfit selection from the success closet. The second part will include networking with employers, including Nordstrom and the Marilyn Johnson Sewing Design Studio, LLC.

Jacqui Goetz, events and marketing coordinator for Career Services, explained that the goal for the Trunk Show is to create an open and intimate conversation between career professionals and students. Career Services and FAD hope to achieve their goal partly through the use of high top tables instead of the round ones seen at most career fairs.

The Career Success closet is fairly new to the Office of Career Services, opening last spring.

“The closet includes gently used professional clothing that students can use for networking events or interviews,” said Goetz. It can be utilized by students any time during the regular hours of Career Services, and each semester current students can choose three clothing items for free, according to Goetz.

There are many advantages to attending an event like the Trunk Show. Goetz said that the Trunk Show will help make sure that students know what they should be wearing to interviews and other networking events. In addition, students will have the opportunity to gain valuable networking skills and build professional connections, Goetz explained.

The Office of Career Service and FAD hope that any students or alumni who are interested will attend the event in order to gain experience networking and interviewing. There will be more events similar to the Trunk Show in the future, adds Goetz, and she also gives some final advice to attendees, “Bring a resume and have your 30-second commercial about yourself well prepared.”