Students volunteer in NRHH

Students volunteer in NRHH

The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) was founded in 1964 and has expanded nationally, with Stevenson University adding a chapter in 2007.

Stevenson’s NRHH students will attend an annual national conference for university residence halls, where members will learn the skills to improve their chapters, according to resident director Evan Huckfeldt.

The 20 members of NRHH at Stevenson are led by Courtney Parto, who serves as the president of the chapter. There are also two vice presidents and 17 general members who all participate in service projects both on and off campus. NRHH typically completes two projects per semester.

NRHH participating in the PB&J drive. (Photo from Courtney Parto)
NRHH participating in the PB&J drive. (Photo courtesy of Courtney Parto)

WHAT THEY DO

This fall semester, the group participated in a PB&J drive on campus that lead to a donation of 230 sandwiches to a soup kitchen in Baltimore, said Parto, while they also assist with blood drives on campus. Huckfeldt explained that NRHH members are expected to submit “Of the Month” nominations in which they can nominate programs, individuals or groups to be recognized in the Stevenson community each month.

Huckfeldt states that NRHH has also participated in “Mustangs Make a Difference Day,” visited a nursing home and spent time at Villa Maria School, which provides “educational and clinical services for children with significant emotional, behavioral and learning challenges,” according to its website.

Student members will not only gain leadership skills, but can also add these volunteer hours to their resumes. Members of this program donate much of their time and effort giving back to their community.

In the spring, rising juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 who have lived on campus for both the fall and spring semesters can be selected to join, said Huckfeldt. Nominees also have to demonstrate leadership skills or involvement with the campus. An application is emailed to students who qualify and the selection process is very competitive. Students are encouraged to compete for their spot with NRHH because there are a limited number of openings.