‘Tidying up’ magic

(Photo from justagirlandherblog.com)
(Photo from justagirlandherblog.com)

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo is not merely a book about cleaning, but one that also focuses on how to become and remain a tidy person.

the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up
Cleaning up can change lives. (Photo from rosybluhome.com)

Kondo, a Japanese consultant and author, highlights the importance of keeping order by only owning things that “spark joy.” The book describes Kondo’s very own KonMari Method. Additionally, Kondo discusses her own life experiences, as well as those of her clients, in hopes of bringing light to the reader’s own perception of tidying.

THE KONMARI METHOD

1. Cleaning up all at once will provoke a shock value when seeing the drastic difference, and it’s highly likely that one will not revert back to clutter. Tidying “all at once” usually takes about six months, said Kondo.The order of cleaning up is also significant because it is easier to start with objects of least sentimental value and then move on to those with the most sentiment. Her order is as follows: clothes, books and paper, miscellaneous items and then mementos. Each of these can be separated into subcategories if you want to go through the process more meticulously.
  2. Everybody beginning a journey of tidying up should first imagine an ideal lifestyle and keep that in mind at all times.
  3. During the decluttering process, people should focus on what they want to own, rather than what they want to throw away. People will know what they cherish by taking each item in their hand and asking, “Does this spark joy?” Touching every item is crucial because doing so allows the body to react and feel intuitively.
  4. Most of the time, people store the same kind of things in multiple locations. Kondo says to take everything from that category and put it all in one place in order to see the their true volume.
  5. Remove everything you want to discard before putting everything back. Organization is key to keeping one’s house in order, as every item needs a “home.” In the book, Kondo also describes a method of folding everything in a particular way that saves space and allows you to see everything you own at a glance.

Decluttering and putting one’s house in order can truly be life-changing, as a clear space inspires a clear mind. “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” can be purchased on online or in a number of stores.