School of Design to host gallery show

School of Design to host gallery show

The School of Design will explore the definition of beauty through its new exhibition titled “Beauty, Etc.,” which will be on display at its opening reception on Thursday, Feb. 9 from 6-9 p.m. on the second floor of the Manning Academic Center art gallery.

The Beauty, Ect. exhibit is located on the second floor south in the Manning Academic Center. (Photo courtesy of Courtney Hottle)

The reception will celebrate the recently installed exhibit of work known as “Beauty, Etc.,” which was inspired by the film “The Illusionist,” shown earlier in the semester. Those who attended the event for the film will be delighted to see the works that were conceptualized with the same mindset as those who made the film.

Elena Volkova, assistant professor of art and visual communication design, said the idea of this theme evolved during monthly faculty meetings where they often discussed “issues of identity, challenging stereotypes about gender roles, as well as societal expectations about what it means to be beautiful.” She is excited to see the completed student work, investigating how they explored different ways to define beauty through the arts.

The artwork consists of photographs, paintings, and short videos that were submitted by students and faculty not only from Stevenson, but from other schools and universities in the surrounding area as well. Some of the other institutions represented include Goucher College, Hood College, Loyola University, and MICA, according to Volkova.

Not only will the art be displayed, but there will be an artist panel discussion as well, and an opportunity to hear the creators of the pieces speak about their work and what beauty means to them.

’47 House, an integrated marketing-communication club on campus, helped arrange the event. Members worked with those in the School of Design to advertise the reception, and help the evening run smoothly.

The club’s co-president, Kim Hahr, said, “47 House was happy to take on this project with the School of Design in order to celebrate the opening of this exhibit.” She is eager to see how the event turns out, and is excited for students and faculty to attend the reception.

Students from all majors are invited to attend this evening of celebration of the arts. There will be discussion and refreshments for all who attend.