Mock Trial team gains momentum

Stevensons Mock Trial team. (Photo courtesy of Melanie Snyder)
Stevenson’s Mock Trial team. (Photo courtesy of Melanie Snyder)
Stevenson’s Mock Trial team performed well at the Charm City Classic tournament. (Photo courtesy of Melanie Snyder)

Stevenson University’s mock trial team hosted the second annual Charm City Classic Invitational Tournament at the Brown School of Business and Leadership on Jan. 28 and 29.

Stevenson hosted 16 different teams from nine different schools from across the East Coast for this event. Participants included University of Maryland College Park, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Haverford College, Patrick Henry College, Princeton University, John Hopkins University, American University, Washington and Lee University, and Seton Hall; it was really the “top of the crop,” according to Stevenson’s mock trial coach, Professor Melanie Snyder.

The competition doubled in size this year from last year’s invitational, which included eight local teams. Stevenson got great feedback for its “impeccable facilities,” said Snyder, and therefore was asked to host again this year. As a result, the competition doubled in size to 16 teams this year with 12 teams on the waitlist.

At the invitational there were four trials for each team, two Saturday and two Sunday. Each trial match up selection is random, based on teams whose ranking and abilities are equally matched. Stevenson competed against Seton Hall’s A team, Seton Hall’s B team, Washington and Lee University, and the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Stevenson’s team finished with three individual awards for students on the team. Junior criminal justice major Ruth George, as well as Junior business communication major Lindsay Somuah were awarded Outstanding Witness awards. Stevenson graduate Dorothy Hinson also finished strong, winning a Top Attorney award.

Although it is only the team’s sixth year competing, Snyder says the mock trial team is a “close knit group with an insane amount of talent,” while George said, “I love all of it … it gives you an insight as to what your future in the field is going to be like.”

She added, “Even above that, it’s the teammates I work with…everyone just clicks together.”

Snyder said that the team couldn’t have done it without their sponsors. She praised Sheela Murthy from Murthy Law Offices, adding, “It’s because of her that we were able to do this.”

Stevenson will attend the regional mock trial competition at the University Of Maryland School of Law the weekend of Feb. 18 and 19.