Job searching made easy

Job searching made easy

Early mornings, late nights, hours of studying and many cups of coffee later, college students’ anticipation for their future ultimately drives them to push through it all. Students pursue a college degree with the expectation that it will land them a job upon graduation. Today, with increased competition across all industries, has made searching for a job a complex process.

Jennifer Jericho

Fortunately, Stevenson University’s Office of Career Services is well equipped to help prepare students for life after graduation. Jennifer Jericho, the industry specialist for the School of Design, is just one of the many expert staff members available to provide counseling and guidance. Jericho serves as a liaison between Stevenson’s students, staff, faculty and employers.

“I spend a lot of time career coaching,” Jericho said. “Anything from ‘what do you want to be when you grow up?’ to ‘I need helping finding a job or internship,’ I’m available to assist students however they need me.” Jericho added that communicating with faculty and outside employers to find new job opportunities and stay on top of current trends in the industry, are equally as important to her job as well.

RESOURCES TO UTILIZE

Handshake is the online job searching tool that is updated daily for students to utilize. (Villager file photo)

Stevenson’s Career Connections, otherwise known as Handshake, is the best resource for Stevenson students to utilize during their job search. Handshake replicates a social media website and is very easy to navigate. New job postings are added daily, and all the posted positions are approved by the Office of Career Services. Additionally, students can schedule an appointment through Handshake with a career counselor on their own.

Whether it’s getting help updating a resume, preparing for an interview or just to discuss general career goals, the staff at the Office of Career Services is waiting to help. Jericho said it best herself “We’re doing so much of the work for you — why not take advantage of the resources that we have?”

In addition to using Handshake, Jericho advised that students must be patient and keep an open mind during their job search.

“Even if you go to a bunch of interviews and don’t land the job, you’ll still learn more about what you want or don’t want from those interviews. It’s just the reality, but you can’t take it personally and certainly can’t give up” explained Jericho. One of the most important pieces of advice she’d give a student is to simply get themselves out there, “the only thing that hurts is when you don’t do anything,” she stated.

With the support of industry-specific career experts and a committed staff, the Office of Career Services helps students develop a personalized plan based on their interests, values and individual goals to ensure success after graduation.

Located on the first floor of Wooded Way, office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students can schedule appointments on their own through Handshake or via email at [email protected].