The Voice contestants visit Stevenson

The Voice contestants visit Stevenson
Bryan Bautista will perform with Nick Hagelin at Stevenson University. (Photo from haathichiti.com)

Two popular season 10 contestants from NBC’s “The Voice” will perform at Stevenson University on Saturday, March 25, 2017, from 9-11 p.m. in the Rockland banquet room.

Bryan Bautista and Nick Hagelin, two of the top three singers on Christina Auguilera’s season 10 team of “The Voice,” will perform as a duet with their band at Stevenson.

Singing acts are usually of interest to students according to Keyara Blackmon, the director of programming for Mustang Activities and Programming (MAP); she hopes that students attend the performance because this events featuring singers from a popular TV show doesn’t usually occur at Stevenson. The performance will be something different for students to enjoy on a Saturday evening.

Bautista, of Brooklyn, N.Y., started his journey on season 10 of “The Voice” after being denied a spot during the show’s ninth season. Bautista’s voice reflects his Latino roots with a touch of hip-hop and R&B. According to billboard.com, one of his performances scored No. 1 on the Latin Digital Songs list. Bautista made it to the top eight contestants on the show before he was voted off.

Hagelin, an award-winning singer/songwriter, dancer and actor from New York City, made it to the top nine contestants of the season before he was voted off the show. Hagelin appeared in magazines, including US Weekly and People Magazine, and attended the Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards.

Every fall, selected Stevenson MAP members attend the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA), a student programming conference. The 2016 conference was in Buffalo, N.Y., and included a variety of performances for different schools to schedule as events. Bautista and Hagelin performed at the conference.

Following the performance, the students of MAP spoke to them about coming to Stevenson to perform. Bautista and Hagelin exchanged information with the students and agreed to come to Stevenson.

Bautista and Hagelin will perform as a duet with their band at Stevenson, and the event is open to all students.