Psychology club to host biopsychologist

The Psychology Club will host a speaker event on March 30 at 6 p.m. in Rockland Conference Room B on the Owings Mills campus. Biopsychologist Michael Frederick, Ph.D., will be the club’s guest speaker.

Frederick is an assistant professor at the University of Baltimore in the division of applied behavioral sciences, studying evolutionary psychology and neuroscience. Frederick joined the University of Baltimore faculty in the fall of 2014; prior to that, he was on the faculty at Hamilton College and received his Ph.D. in biopsychology from University at Albany, according to his LinkedIn page.

The psychology club hosts a speaker series welcoming biopsychologist Michael Frederick, Ph.D., from the University of Baltimore. (Photo from University of Baltimore)

Ingrid Tulloch, Ph.D., faculty advisor of the Psychology Club and research psychologist, reached out to Frederick because he is also a research psychologist. Most students think a career in psychology is just for counselors, therapists and clinical psychologists, but a lot of the faculty members in the psychology department at Stevenson University are psychology researchers, explained Tulloch. The club’s speaker series shows students that the field of psychology is interdisciplinary and wide-reaching.

Frederick’s research is not only “biological psychology and neuroscience, but also social psychology because he is looking at personalities and how life experiences and events influence personalities,” added Tulloch. Additionally, Frederick’s interests touch on all the areas of developmental psychology, biopsychology and personality studies, according to Tulloch. His work shows students how the different areas of psychology come together.

The Psychology Club brings in at least two speakers each year, one in the fall and one in the spring. Club members ask the faculty to recommend speakers and poll students as to what type of speakers they would like to see, according to Tulloch. The speakers talk about their current research as well as their career paths and their reasons for choosing the fields they did. The speaker series helps to educate students about psychology and hopes to inspire them to pursue their interests in the field.

The speaker event is open to all students, faculty, and staff.

The Psychology Club is open to all students in all majors at Stevenson University. Those interested in joining can email [email protected].