Students win March Madness game

The annual March Madness student vs. faculty/staff basketball game notched a 37-31 win for the students on Friday, March 24 in the Owings Mill gymnasium.

The Student Government Association (SGA) hosted the largely popular and competitive event, and all proceeds from the game went to Stevenson University’s Relay for Life team.

Students pose with their trophies after winning the March Madness game for Relay for Life. (Photo courtesy of Lauren Novsak)

Junior Curtis McInnis, SGA’s director of philanthropy, had the task of planning the event and said it was an amazing experience.  McInnis and his committee organized everything from the players involved on both teams, to guest performances including Urban Vibe and giveaways for the students that attended.

In order to supervise and make sure everything went smoothly, McInnis did not play, but said it was one of the biggest turnouts they have had in the past two years.

Junior Bryson Barksdale, an SGA senator, returned again for the students’ team.  He explained that the March Madness basketball game is a great way to enhance the Stevenson community. The faculty and staff, the Sodexo staff, athletes and students of all years, made the event a night of friendly competition for a good cause.

Resident director Jason Summers participated on the staff team in order to support SGA and Relay for Life, as well as have fun with his colleagues and students. Summers enjoyed how both teams were able to be competitive and still have fun during the game.

Senior DJ Carmon explained that he loves that he can play his favorite sport while supporting an extraordinary cause in honor of those with cancer, those who have passed and the loved ones who are also suffering.

Senior Matthias Ojo has participated in Relay for Life since his freshman year and will be participating again this year.  Even though the student team won, Ojo said, “In the end it wasn’t about the game, but the cause in which it was benefiting. Even if the students had lost, it didn’t matter because the community won, and we were able to put on an event for something greater than ourselves.”

The March Madness basketball game raised roughly $350 from ticket sales and donations for Relay for Life. This year Relay for Life will be held April 21-22, from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. in the Owings Mills gymnasium.  The event will be a Hawaiian theme and it will be called ‘Rei Lei For a Cure’.