Massie-Burrell joins disability services staff

Dr. Terri Massie-Burrell has joined the staff at Stevenson as director of disability  services.

Dr. Terri Massie-Burrell (Photo from Frostburg State University webpage)

Dedicated to academic achievement for all students, she is passionate about the benefits of working hard in school. An assistant provost for student success and retention at Frostburg State University, Massie-Burrell has a strong background in higher education. She received her bachelor’ degree in communications from Howard University and went on to receive a Ph.D. in counseling and personnel services at the University of Maryland, College Park.

As an advocate for the Stevenson community, Massie-Burrell sees Stevenson as a great school. She has already noticed the love the students have for the institution. She mentioned that this is one reason why she is looking forward to continuing her career at Stevenson. She hopes to provide outstanding services to all students on campus, particularly students with disabilities. With a strong community base, she wants students to help promote the benefits that the Office of Student Success (OSS) provides.

“It’s not how we can better accommodate students, but how we can better promote the resources that OSS offers. That’s where you, the student, comes in,”  she said.

Two students work in the Center for Student Success (Photo from video on Stevenson’s Student Success webpage)

The services the Office of Student Success offers includes the following:

• Academic and Pre-Health Advising
  • First-Year Experience
  • Student Success Coaching
  • Student Support Services
  • Office of Disability Services

Disability services provided at Stevenson includes the following:

• Extended time on quizzes, tests and exams
  • Note-taking assistance
  • The use of a computer, calculator and/or assistive technology in class and/or on exams
  • Assistance registering for classes
  • Preferential class seating
  • Sign language interpreters or CART services
  • Access to text-to-speech reader software, such as Kurzweil 3000
  • Referrals to other resources on and off-campus such as counseling services, rehabilitation services and tutoring through Academic Link.

Massie-Burrell said that her dream superpower corresponds with her dedication to work: immortality, the ability to live forever, because she knows she has great work to do. There is always something to learn, especially in the education field. To also see, and be a part of diversifying schools and communities, would be on her wish list as well.