New club explores Asian culture

New club explores Asian culture

The Asian Culture Club (ACC) is a new and prospering organization at Stevenson University. Freshman Dawn Lucas is the president of the ACC, and the club’s advisor is Dr. Sara Narayan, professor of chemistry. According to Narayan, when they started, the club had only 10 members in addition to the board. Now the list has increased 24.

The officers of the Asian Culture Club. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Sara Narayan)

The focus of the club is on Asian culture and the diversity within it. For example, ACC examines Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese cultures. However, ACC is open to people of all races and ethnicities. In order to bring awareness to these different cultures, the club plans to collaborate with the Video Game Club and others to make their presence known on campus.

During the 2017-2018 year, ACC hopes to expand their numbers and increase student interest. Members of ACC attended Accepted Students Day recently, and 15 accepted students showed interest in joining the club.

The club also plans to reach out to the Stevenson community through acts of kindness. For example, members of the club served Asian snacks to students on April 7, and in addition, according to Narayan, “Last week they celebrated cherry blossom day, painted cherry blossom trees, and presented the history of cherry blossom trees given by Japanese to Americans in 1912.”

Narayan said that ACC is an enthusiastic club filled with “bubbly members” who are planning entertaining and interactive events for the fall semester, including hosting a Zen Garden and Diwali light festival.

For those interested in learning about diversity within another culture, Lucas and Narayan are open to answering any questions regarding ACC.